The U.S. American Petroleum Institute (API) has made revisions to a key safety standard aimed at enhancing the oil and natural gas industry’s commitment to worker safety, incident prevention and environmental protection in offshore operations.
The standards, API Recommended Practice 75 (RP 75), provides guidance for establishing, implementing, maintaining and continually the SEMS of offshore operations. This performance-based document that provides a systematic methodology for companies to identify and manage operational risks, enhance the safety of workers and protect the environment.
The revised standard expands on the following:
- Extending the standard for use globally, beyond its previous focus on domestic operations in the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf.
- Providing guidance on how companies should interface with each other to ensure operational risks.
- Expanding the types of operations that fall under SEMS risk management expectations, providing greater consideration of human performance.
- Structuring the standard to encourage further contractor utilization.
- Advancements in technology, operations and overall knowledge.
Image Courtesy of API.